About Us

Way back in 1988 in the hot month of May at five minutes' walking distance from the Konnagar Railway Station at 75/A/37 H.C.Banerjee Lane, Konnagar Institute for Spoken English was established with only five boys and two girls as students. It was initially intended that the institute would simply cater to the needs of the local youngsters who were keenly interested in obtaining a working knowledge of Spoken English. However, within a span of only one and a half years the institute found itself imparting lessons in Spoken English to about forty students who used to come from different localities-------near & far.

Today Konnagar Institute prides itself in stating that it has been instrumental in getting many a student established in various walks of life. Needless to say that Konnagar Institute for Spoken English does not owe its success to a particular single individual who claims to be the helmsman of the institute. The achievement of the institute can safely be ascribed to all its devoted students who on one hand learn unhesitatingly from their senior classmates & on the other hand painstakingly train their juniors------in observance of the institute's traditional culture-----"Your Senior is your first teacher".

In the untiring endeavor to spread the English education far & wide; Konnagar Institute for Spoken English effusively welcomes everyone who intends to master the art of speaking English. For admission to Konnagar Institute 'Money' is secondary while 'Devotion to English' is primary. So amigos, no more shilly-shally learn English willy-nilly.

Sunday 27 July 2014

4th Sunday of Konnagar Institute for Spoken English (KISE) (Grammar/Vocabularies)

Grammatical tips

1) I 'Saw him do' something=He did something (past simple) and I saw it.
In the above sentence I saw the complete action from beginning to end.
* He 'fell' of the wall. I saw it.= I saw him 'fall' of the wall.
* The accident 'happened'. Did you see it?= Did you see the accident 'happen'?

2) I 'saw him doing' something.= He 'was doing' something (PAST CONTINUOUS) and I saw this.
In the above sentence I saw him when he was in the middle of doing it. This does not mean that I saw the complete action.
* He 'was walking' alone the street. I saw this when I drove past in my car.= I 'saw him walking' along the street.

3) We use the above structure with 'SEE' and 'HEAR' and a number of other verbs:-
* I didn't 'hear you call' me. (You called me. I didn't hear this)
* She 'felt somebody touch' her on the shoulder.
* Did you 'notice any body go' out of the hall?
* I 'smelt something burning' outside my window.
* I 'found him eating' an apple.

Vocabularies

Some Idioms

1) Be bouncing off the walls (Informal). :- To be excited and full of nervous energy.
* We need to get out for a walk. the children are bouncing off the walls.
2) Be bound and determined (American). :- To have a strong wish to do something and to not allow anything to stop you from doing it.
* She is bound and determined to make her career in medical research.
3) Be out of bounds.:- If an area is out of bounds, you are not allowed to go there.
* All military sites are totally out of bounds.
4) Bow and scrape.:- To try too hard to please someone in a position of authority (It is generally used in the continuous tense).
* It's embarrassing to see staff bowing ans scraping to the new prime minister.
5) Box clever (British). :- To behave in a cleaver and sometimes in a slightly in dishonest way to try to achieve the result you wan.
* Obviously he would have to box clever in the witness stand to avoid implicating himself.
6) Box somebody's ears (old fashioned). :- To hit someone, usually as a punishment.
* I will box your ears if you come to school late any time in the future.
7) A brain box (British and Australian informal). :- A very intelligent person.
* Come on, brain box, you must be able to solve this apparently insoluble problem.
8) Get your brain in gear (Informal).:- To make yourself start thinking clearly and effectively.
* I have to get my brain in gear for the meeting this afternoon.
9) The brass ring (informal).:- Success or a reward that you try to achieve, often by competing against other pepole.
* Our aim is to have the best team in the league. the brass ring must be brought to our club.
10) Have the brass balls (Vulgar).:- To have the confidence to do something that is rude or shows a lacl of respect, without care whether people approve it or not.
* He had the brass balls to announce his engagement to Sally in front of his ex-wife. 

No comments: